Chicken with cashew nuts is simply one of the most beloved dishes in the world: we love the crunchy nuts paired with the delicious sauce! I think we ordered about 100 of these chicken cashew meals in Thailand. Our friend Ruth from Thailand joked that it would be the only thing we’d eat. But we just had to make sure that nowhere else would taste as good as at Sammy’s Cooking School in Chiang Mai. And so thanks to Sammy, we can now share the tastiest, mind blowing recipe for this amazing dish on our travel blog. This recipe below is enough to serve two people.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 200 grams of chicken breast fillet (cut into small pieces)
- about 100 grams of roasted, unsalted cashew nuts (we simply roast the nuts at about 150 degrees in the oven until golden brown – be careful not to get too dark)
- Vegetables of your choice (e.g. carrots, mangetouts, fisoles, baby corncobs) beans, leek
- about 4-5 bars of spring onions (cut into rings)
- about 3 garlic cloves (small cut)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of Oystersauce
- 2 dried chili peppers (cut)
- Water (about half a cup)
- Oil for frying
- Jasmine Rice
Here we go – Method:
- First, heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic just a little.
- Toss in the chicken and the spring onions.
- Once the meat is cooked through, add the vegetables.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes on high heat. But don’t forget to stir constantly, otherwise it will burn.
- Add the fish sauce, oyster sauce, water, sugar and chili peppers.(For those who like more intense flavours, add more fish and Oyster sauce).
- Let it simmer on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the roasted cashew nuts – and it’s ready!
- Serve with rice and enjoy.
A little book suggestion:
By the way, you can find even more tasty Thai dishes in the Cookbook Asia Street Food, which we highly recommend!
Have you cooked Chicken with Cashew Nuts before? Do you happen to have a variation on the recipe for it? We would love to hear your comments!